The THEME: “Science & Technology Education for development, citizenship and social justice” is expressed through 9 Strands (S1 to S9):
· S1: Education for Sustainable Development, Human Rights and Health.
- Education for all.
- Citizenship education.
- ESD (Education for Sustainable Development) / Environmental education.
- Health education/ health promotion/Sex education.
- Ethics in STE
· S2: Cultural, social and gender issues in STE
- Gender issues.
- Values and Ethics in STE.
- International comparisons.
- Student diversity and inclusive education.
- Political issues in STE.
- Indigenous Knowledge and Intercultural Education.
- Language problems / linguistic diversity
- Conceptions, science, justice and citizenship
- Science, Technology and Society.
· S3: STE and religion.
- Nature of science, nature of religion.
- Science education versus religious education
- Science and religion: strategies for learning and teaching, teachers training, curriculum design.
- Science and Belief: alternative conceptions.
- Teaching religions or enrolling in a religion? Inside or outside school?
· S4: ICT for equity and democracy in STE.
- Digital divide.
- ICT and e-learning in teacher development.
- Smart school and ICT-based education.
- Distance learning and blended learning.
- ICT learning and instructional design.
- Perspectives and educational programs beyond ICT
· S5: Epistemology, History and Philosophy in STE.
- History and epistemology in mathematics, fundamental and applied sciences
- History and Philosophy of Biomedical and Health Education.
- Philosophy of Science: Modeling, complexity, prediction
· S6: Socio-scientific issues in STE.
- Socio-scientific issues and cognitive process in formal and nonformal learning
- Using Socio-scientific issues for STE
- Education in science centres and museums
- Positioning arguments and controversies in STE
· S7: Teacher training and teaching practices
Teachers and trainers in science and technology: Policy, missions, training, roles, values and perspectives.
- Teaching STE versus conception and competence
- STE: Practices and didactic design
· S8: Curricula, textbooks and media in STE
- Critical analysis of official programs and textbooks.
- Curriculum design and development in STE.
- Inter/intra / trans-disciplinary topics.
- Science, Media and Society
· S9: Evaluation in STE.
- Assessment and ranking of schools and universities.
- Assessment dealing with learning, training and citizenship education
- Competency assessment.
- Social impact of assessment.
- Theory and practice of Assessment, Evaluation, Testing and Measurement.
- Evaluation of Educational Research.
- Educational Assessment Policies and System Monitoring.
- International comparative evaluations (PISA, TIMMS, ROSE,…)